January 28th

Fuel pipework finishedFinally, I managed to get some time in the garage, although it was bloody cold!

I had got some tails for the fuel regulator from Europa that allowed me to finish the fuel pipework, which now goes all the way from the tank to the carburettor. I had bought a banjo connector from Real Steel originally that allows the fuel pipe to point downwards from the carb, therefore missing the air filter.

Speedo sensor magnetsAfter that I moved on to the speedo sensor. The sensor I got from Greengauges is a reed switch job (which they reckon is the best choice) that needs some magnets attaching to a rotating device of some form. I chose to put some magnets around the propshaft for which I now have all the bolts to attach it between the diff and the gearbox. So, using some slow setting Araldite, again as recommended, I attached four of the six magnets supplied at roughly equal distances around the propshaft. It's now setting. Mind you, the cold will probably slow it down a lot...

Speedo sensor reed switchThe other thing that's needed is a bracket for the reed switch itself, which is in this photo. I started fabricating a bracket that will hold the switch closish to the magnets. I did a bit of testing and the sensor seems to detect the magnets when it's about 1cm away, so it shouldn't be too critical in its positioning.

next page

in case you've got to this frame directly and can't get out, go here.