April 28th

Radiator and fanGiven that disaster, I thought I'd try something constructive. So, I fitted the radiator which went into place well. After that I fitted the cooling fan which connects to the radiator with things that can only be described as linear tie wraps. They go straight through the radiator core and clip on the back, but seem to work fine.

In order to make the fan a pusher I had to reverse the fan blades and the sense of the connection cables is also reversed. Testing it with the Rush's battery caused a satisfying mini gale in the garage.

The fan you can see here is a Pacet one. The reason for buying this particular make is that the Rush's radiator is rather exposed and I know of at least one case of a radiator being holed, perhaps by a stone caught between fan blade and radiator core. So, this sort of fan has a rather better stone guard than some others.

Fan switch on daft stalkAfter that I wired in the radiator, although I'm a bit concerned that the loom has a 15 amp fuse for the fan, while the wiring for the fan came with some 25 amp fuses. I'll stick with the loom as it is for now, but I'll have to watch out later.

The fan switch is this rather ugly device that I mounted on the supplied bracket. I thought about making something a bit more compact but decided that there might be some reason, possibly something to do with the flexibility of the temperature probe's capillary tube, why it should be on such a flexible mounting. However, writing about it now I can't see it; perhaps I'll change it again.

April 29th

Ceci n'est pas une tankeI didn't do very much today, as there as household stuff to do and I spent a while cleaning up the Westfield, perhaps for eventual sale. However, I fretted a bit more about the bodywork and put some connectors on cables for the reverse and fog lights.

Which reminds me. The photo here shows the reversing light connector posed atop the fuel tank. In the background are the fuel inlet and the tank connections. The normal Dax instructions show show two pipes connected from tank to filler cap, the main one and a little one that I assume is just to allow for easy filling. I'm not bothering with the latter, but I need to way to block up the little pipe. If anyone knows the right way to do this I'd appreciate an email as I need to be careful as we're dealing with petrol here. At the moment I'm tending towards a short length of fuel hose and some sort of bung, perhaps an alloy blanking plug which I have a couple of spares of around.

Alloy pipes in WestfieldI spent a while this evening working out what cooling pipework is going to be needed. At first sight it looks fairly simple, but it's about time I got an expansion bottle and the heater that I want. I could do with some of the nice alloy pipes that Westfield supply as in the photo, but I guess I'll have to make something myself.

I saw someone at the Dax open day recently who had used normal 15mm plumbing copper pipe so perhaps I could use something like that for some things?

April 30th

I phoned Gary at Dax and asked about the non-fitting cockpit sides. He said that they've had this problem as well and to try sanding out the return on the top of the sides. Failing that, and he conceded that they'd had to do this on occasions, then it is possible to cut the return on the top of the sides and cover up the resulting horribleness with the stainless capping that is going to fit later on anyway. He said that you could use this, in any case, to cover up any problems with the fitting onto the rear wings.

Still not very impressed...

I also phone Dave Ellis about the amount of oil that I'd poured into the gearbox. He confirmed that it should take about 1.5 litres, which makes it all rather odd. He seemed to think that I should just leave it but it seems rather odd.

next page

in case you've got to this frame directly and can't get out, go here.