February 27th

As you've probably realised, I've been too busy to update this. However, here's a few photos to show you where I've got to. I've actually realised recently that I'm not so much rebuilding this car as building a new one. That explains why it's taking so long.

I do now think that I stand a decent chance of making the first race, although I doubt I'll get any testing in and some fiddly bits (eg the steering angle sensor) are destined to not get completed in time.

So, here I've cut off the rear tub and attached a bit of ally angle to stiffen up the scuttle.

I'm making the mark III version of the dash. This time, in an effort to stop me flailing around and turning the car off, I've put all the switches on the tunnel top. Problem is, they stand a better change of getting too wet here and I might well stand on them. I can probably rig up some sort of cover for the former problem though.

The collection of black grommets is because I changed my mind at one point...

With the switches mounted I had lots of wiring to do. At this point the car didn't move on for what seemed like weeks really.

The biggest issue was probably the back of the switch panel itself. Here it is sitting on the dining room table...

The effect of doing all the wiring has been to clutter up the scuttle enormously. There must be some way to do this mega-neatly, but it seems to be beyond me...

And here's the MkIII version of the dash itself. It's even smaller than last time and only contains the Palm, a shift light which is one of these, the oil pressure warning light and the neutral light. In retrospect, I've been wondering why the last thing is here at all, it could have gone on the switch panel.

This photo was taken when the momentous moment was achieved when I started the engine! The carbs, which I had Andy Bates clean for me with his ultrasonic cleaner, needed a lot of fiddling with to get the balance about right. However, it's not far off now and when I get a better meter than my ear and a length of tubing I'll be able to balance them properly.

Having got the engine ghoing makes the the thing seem much more like a car, which is doing wonders for me; I have to admit that I was getting fairly despondent.

I've also no just about finished the panelling. In particular, I've done the rear bulkhead, as seen here, which is the job I've been looking forward to least. As you can see, the seat extension, which before was done with additional bits of ally, is now part of the seat back itself. I need to do the side bits though, or reuse the old ones. As you can see, a couple of the old carbon panels have found their way back onto this version of the car.

 next page