Matt, one of the cam7ers,
arrived at the crack of dawn and after sorting out cars and trailers we set off. It was bloody cold at first, especially
in the absence of sidescreens.
After some slight trouble finding the SVA place (they've moved it to a nice new shed) everything was going great
until we got to the speedo test. I had been hoping that it would have miraculously cured itself by not charging
along the motorway, but was thwarted. At the end of it all I was given a failure document that listed the speedo
and also the fog light switch didn't have a separate tell-tale to say when the light was on. (I noticed the other
day that the switch didn't have a little cut-out in the top like the Westfield one has.) In retrospect I reckong
that Les, the tester, was going to ignore the fog light switch if nothing serious had cropped up elsewhere...
Luckily, you can apparently get a retest on the speedo bit without problems...
When I got back into the MR2 later it was like driving a sackful of blancmange in comparison to the Dax. Some observations on the Dax are:
Having had a couple of days off resting from the car, I got back to it today to have a look at the SVA failure points. First of all, I grovelled under the car to have a look at the speedo sensor. Immediately it was obvious what had done wrong with it in that there were only three magnets attached to the propshaft. What's more, another of them was loose. Still I completed the job by bashing another off with a cold chisel. Disturbingly, it came off rather easily.
I then opened up the tunnel again to look at the gap between the sensor and the magnets again. Oddly, while I was taking the carpet up again I found the magnet that was missing sitting on the passenger side floor! Presumably it had flown off the propshaft and found its way, via the gaps caused by the flange having to be taken off the bottom of the tunnel moulding, into the car. Bizarre though... Anyway, everything seemed to be fine around the sensor and I tried it again and was pleased to see that this time 110 mph (in the garage!) was easily achieved. I also checked the calibration against the tachometer, having worked out that the car should do 23.16 mph/1000 rpm in top gear!
Everything went fine, although the other magnet falling off has to be seen as a potential problem. I suspect that the problem here is caused by the propshaft having been powder coated. The epoxy doesn't seem to have adhered well to the coating.
Having put the tunnel back together again, I took out the dash and arranged for the illumination on the fog light switch to come on only when the fog light was on.
Having done that I seemed to have nothing to do. Although there are loads of things I want to do after I've got the SVA sorted that seemed to be the lot for now. Amazing...
This morning I phoned up the test centre and booked an SVA retest for Wednesday afternoon. I just hope it stops raining by then.
in case you've got to this frame directly and can't get out, go here.